Today, let’s talk about how we can use silence as a strategy. Bottom line: We need to get comfortable in silence.
Comedians call silence “the awkward pause.” But it’s no laughing matter. Silence is downright uncomfortable. It makes most people fidgety, nervous, chatty, and vulnerable. When silence takes over a conversation, any structure or direction that may have been there just went out the window.
Ironically, it’s what makes silence so uncomfortable that makes it so strategic when harnessed appropriately.
In this week’s episode, I show you how to use silence as a strategy. Deployed in the right circumstances at the right time, initiating an awkward pause or a silence in dialogue can be empowering, and signal strength in your position.
When you begin to use silence as a strategy, and it implemented skillfully, it can be potent because it signals a willingness to walk away rather than settle for
In this video see why silence is powerful and how it creates a sense of mystery when we need to…
- gain the upper hand
- shift the balance of power
- create an advantage once we’ve presented our position, or
- get the other side to reveal information
The power of silence is misunderstood, underestimated, and under-utilized -because it creates doubt and keeps people guessing.
Using silence as a strategy will be particularly useful…
- When it is a high-stakes negotiation consider using silence. Take the time to consider where there may be terms that sow discord could end up in a court battle if participants can’t agree.
- When you are angling for more information, it’s time to think open-ended questions to entice someone to talk.
- When you are feeling pressured to make a decision, don’t sweat it; you’re allowed time to think something over.
- When your position is being challenged forcefully. In this video, you will see how implemented silence as a strategy when in this situation and how you can apply the same approach I used to create silence.
Whether you’re using silence as a strategy or it’s being used on you, watch this week’s video so you can avoid:
- bargaining against your own interests
- ceding your position
- assuming the worst
- irrational thoughts that lead to regrettable actions
- instead of fearing silence, lean into silence. Embrace it. Using silence as a strategy will turn it from being uncomfortable to harnessing its power to accomplish your goals.
Have you had experience with difficult meetings? Can you see how the above factors could help create a positive meeting? I’d love to hear what you have learned.
Has there been a time recently when you have felt that awkward pause and the silence has been uncomfortable? Could that moment have been turned into using silence as a strategy?
Have you found this video helpful? Share it with a friend and comment below what other topics you would like me to address.
You might also enjoy The ABC’s of Confidence Building.
Your Next Steps:
Follow Jackie for free tips, tactics, and strategies she shares throughout the week on social media.
Email Jackie: Helpdesk@jackiefcoaching.com